Tuesday, January 01, 2008

i left facebook!

i was writing this as part of the previous post, but i think, considering the huge significance of the event, it really deserves it's own post.

so, in keeping with my resolution for the new year, i deavtivated my account. that's right, i did it. omg i was spending my life on facebook. i have two papers to write over the break. i've been working on them since like the 15th of december...sigh...but it's been taking so long because i was spending most of my time on facebook. i'm COMPLETELY updated on everyone's pictures and/or relationship status' (stati?). i was lying in bed a couple mornings ago, laptop on my lap, doing what i always ( i.e. the last two weeks) do in the mornings (checking facebook), when i wandered off into the profile of the girlfriend of an acquaintance. after going through her profile pic album and right in the middle of the tagged pictures, i suddenly stopped!! "what am i doing??" i thought. i don't know this girl, nor do i think she is particularly pretty or anything special. why am i stalking her like a stalker?? i didn't feel like doing my paper, so i was wasting time on facebook instead. what made everything worse is that one of the paper is on people who know what the right thing to do is but don't have enough self-control to do it. the condmning, formal, and convoluted 6-line sentences of aristotle started swimming around in my head: "strong appetites," "weak disposition," "contradictory to reason," and so on. sooo, i took the balls by the bull and deactivated my account.
i feel relieved right now actually. and free. and kind of proud of myself, to be honest.

i don't think the withdrawal has kicked in yet. i'll let you know if i start shaking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Goofy-Sufi said...

I tooooooootally know the feeling of accomplishment. I just deactivated my Facebook account 3 months ago and I feel GREAT!!!

So after reading your post, I could DEFINITELY relate. It's hard at the beginning, but then you not only get used to it, but also begin asking yourself, "what did I do when there was NO Facebook?" It is then that you begin to realize that you're not only not missing out on anything huge, but that you become more alert and studious in meeting your goals and deadlines.

So...kudos to you! :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home