Monday, November 27, 2006

if you knew you would not fail, what would you attempt?

she asked me this today as we were leaving. she had read it on a poster or something on his wall.
"there are so many things people don't do because they are afraid of failure. what would you attempt?"
"to fly."

why?
i said this in one of my other posts too. i wish i could fly.
but why do i want to fly?
i mean, i am a human being. i should be satisfied with just walking. after all, that is what i was made to do. maybe i feel trapped on my two feet. limited to the short little distances they allow me to travel. rooting me to the ground. hard. holding me down. pulled down by gravity. imprisoned by the laws of nature.
maybe i wish i could defy those laws. just soar to the sun. see what is beyond that cave in the sky pouring out light on me every morning. fly through the clouds and see if it all looks different from up there. fly next to a bird to see what its expression looks like in the middle of flight. do the stars look closer from up there or do they seem just as far away?

"i've seen the sun make love to the sea"

maybe i'm tired of everything looking so big and important from down here. maybe i want to forget about it all. all the small things that seem so huge down here. from up in the sky, i could be like gilligan looking down on the mini people of lilliput and laughing at how seriously they take themselves, when they - and their problems - are so small. insignificant. maybe i'm tired of living in lilliput, of being a lilliputian.

can you see God from up there?

maybe i want to have the freedom to go wherever i want to whenever i want to. i miss them so much. if i could fly, i would just get up on weekends and fly for a visit. ha. that would be cool. we would go out together, laugh together, be together. it would be like i grew up in both places at once. no more divided nature.
or i could go to all the places i learn about. like on thursday i learn about dante, friday i get up and fly to florence and see the places he talks about. then the next weekend i could just fly to athens and see where socrates was tried. i could have gone to rome and seen "school of athens" first-hand.

i want to be free

maybe flying feels like skating. like really skating - tearing through the kids at a dangerous speed, maneouvering my way through, picking one foot up, pushing, then the other, fighting through the ice cold wind that cools my face, blows my hair everywhere, makes me look like a tomato-face by the time i get off the ice. is that what it's like to fly? maybe it's even more like that. it feels like that but ten times more. (whoa, if that's true, i wonder how red i would look after flying...)
maybe i want to talk with the birds. have a race. play a flying game. make new friends.

or maybe i'm just lazy and don't want to walk.

if you knew you would not fail, what would you attempt?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing,
If I know I don’t fail, I just don’t try it.
I wanna learn how to protect and overcome with my failures, and for sure to prevent it from happening.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home